The Shasta Piping Society in the US, in association with Burley Bagpipes, British Columbia, have announced the details of their composng competition for 2019. As before, the judges will be PP Editor Robert Wallace, Bill Livingsatone (Canada) and Chris Terry (South Africa).
This competition calls for copies of original piobaireachds to be submitted by composers to the panel. The piobaireachd submissions must be original to the composer(s), of any style, and cannot have been published before.
Prize awards for the top three compositions will be £500/£250/£100. Submissions must be received by April 1, 2019, and winners will be announced in May 2019.
Piobaireachd Competition Rules
- Composers must have reached the age of 21 by the final submission date.
- Piobaireachd submissions must be original to the composer(s), and not been published before.
- Entries previously submitted for SPS contests are not eligible for consideration.
- Submissions may be of any form (Lament, Salute, etc.) preferred by the composer(s), specifically written for solo bagpipe.
- Only one submission is allowed from each composer or co-composer.
- Submissions must be sent electronically, attached to an introductory email with the composer’s contact information, and received by April 1, 2019 to the email address: email@example.com
- The musical score must be submitted as a PDF file, labelled as “SPS Contest”, with no indication of the composer’s identity or composition name on the file. The score must be generated by computer in a recognizable arrangement format (PS, Binneas, McIntosh, CC). Hand-written scores or written notations on the score are not accepted.
- Submissions must also include an audio electronic file (MP3) of the composition played on pipes or practice chanter (not necessarily by the composer), with no voice or identifying markers. Name the MP3 file: “SPS contest”.
- Composers will retain all copyright, but must agree to grant the sponsors free right to publish the score in a music collection and use a recording of the arrangement for the winning announcement and to advertise future competitions.
- Composers must have the ability to receive monetary awards from the sponsors by paypal account, or be willing to waive prize payment or donate in their name to an approved charity that accepts payment.
- All decisions made by the representatives of the sponsors are final.
Piobaireachd score and audio entries will be catalogued, provided individual identification, and sent under blind cover to the panel of judges. Results of the competition will be announced to each of the composers during May, 2019, and announced to the public on PipingPress.com and the Shasta Piping Society website.