The Mizzou New Music Initiative is now accepting applications for eight resident composers to take part in the 2018 Mizzou International Composers Festival (MICF), which will be held July 23- 28, 2018 on the campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia.
Alex Mincek and a to-be-announced composer will serve as the distinguished guest composers for the 2018 MICF, which will include three public concerts of contemporary music as well as workshops, master classes and other events.
As in years past, Saturday night’s grand finale at the Missouri Theatre will feature the world premieres of new works from each of the eight resident composers, with the acclaimed new music group Alarm Will Sound, conducted by artistic director Alan Pierson, serving as resident ensemble.
The resident composers are selected for the MICF each year through an online portfolio application process. During the Festival, they’ll get composition lessons from the distinguished guest composers and University of Missouri faculty, and take part in rehearsals with Alarm Will Sound. Each composer also will receive a professional live recording of their work.
Composers selected as resident participants for the festival will be expected to compose a work for Alarm Will Sound’s complete instrumentation, see below, lasting up to 8 minutes in duration. Each selected resident composer must submit a finished preliminary score by April 16, 2018 for review by Alarm Will Sound, and professionally prepared scores (2) and parts of the final work are due by May 7, 2018. Due to rehearsal/technical demands we will not be able to program works that include electronics.
Festival tuition, room, and board for each selected composer will be provided through the generous contributions of the Sinquefield Charitable Foundation. Selected composers will need to pay for transportation to and from Columbia, MO.
- Complete the online application process here: https://app.getacceptd.c
- Under the Program Groups tab, select 2018 Mizzou International Composers Festival
- Under the Program tab, select Online Application
- Pay the $22.00 application fee.
- Upload three scores of original works with contrasting instrumentation. One score must be written for chamber orchestra or large ensemble. If you have a piece scored for Alarm Will Sound’s instrumentation, listed below, please include that work as one of the three submitted scores.
- Label all scores with your name and contact information.
- Upload recordings of the same works. Live recordings preferred but MIDI recordings are accepted.
- Upload a Resume (two page maximum)
- Oboe/English Horn
- E-flat Clarinet/B-flat Clarinet
- B-flat Clarinet/Bass Clarinet
- Trombone/Bass Trombone
- Percussion: Two players with standard multi-percussion, mallet percussion, and drum kit
- Violin 1
- Violin 2/Viola
- Double Bass
The Mizzou International Composers Festival part of the Mizzou New Music Initiative (http://mizzounewmusic.missour
The Mizzou New Music Initiative is a direct result of the generous support of Dr. Jeanne and Mr. Rex Sinquefield and the Sinquefield Charitable Foundation (http://www.sinquefieldcharita