The University of Louisville School of Music is please to announce the University of Louisville Grawemeyer Award for Music Composition 2019. The University will offer an international prize in recognition of outstanding achievement by a living composer in a large musical genre: choral, orchestral, chamber, electronic, song-cycle, dance, opera, musical theatre, extended solo work, etc. The award will be granted for a work premiered during the five-year period between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2017. The amount of the award to the composer will be a minimum of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00).
- Each entry for the Grawemeyer Music Award must be nominated by a professional musical organisation or individual (performer or performing group, conductor, critic, publisher, or head of a professional music school or department). A composer may not submit his or her own work. No more than one work of any composer may be submitted, and entries from previous winners of this award will not be considered.
- Each entry must include the following:
-One bound copy of the full score.
-One excellent quality recording of the complete work. Send only standard audio compact discs (no mp3s or other types of sound file); please do not send DVDs or other media. If possible, provide separate tracks for each movement of multi-movement works. Please omit tuning, opening applause, spoken commentary such as radio interviews or conductor’s remarks, or any other extraneous material at the beginning of the CD.
-Documentation of the premiere public performance of the work between 1/1/13 and 12/31/17. A radio broadcast or sound recording does not constitute a premiere.
-Program notes in English.
-Supporting letter in English from the nominator of the entry, which must state nominator’s relation to the submitted work and nominator’s belief in the outstanding qualities of the work
-Composer’s biography in English
-Completed, signed entry form in English
- Submissions and requests for entry forms or further information should be sent to:
Grawemeyer Music Award Committee
School of music
University of Louisville
Louisville, Kentucky 40292
- Questions may be addressed via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completed entries for the Grawemeyer Award must reach the University of Louisville by January 16, 2018.
For more information, and to download an entry form, please visit www.grawemeyer.org