The Associazione Mendelssohn, with the support of Toscana Energia, hereby announces the Second Edition of the «Michele Novaro» International Composition Competition. Michele Novaro (1818-1885) was the composer who, at the age of 29, wrote the music for the Italian National Anthem on the lyrics by Mameli. The competition aims to stimulate composers to create music able to reflect on Italian identity and culture.
The Competition is open to composers of all nationalities, who on 20 October 2017 are still under the age of 35. Candidates should submit to the jury a composition for chamber orchestra, lasting between 7 and 10 minutes, which is inspired by the values and themes of the Italian Constitution. In this edition, composers should focus on the theme of the “Italian Artistic and Cultural Heritage”, which lies in article 9 of the Italian Constitution. The work should involve a string orchestra, with the possible addition of 1 flute (or piccolo), 1 oboe, 1 clarinet (in B flat or in A), 1 trumpet, percussions (one player). The composition must absolutely be unpublished and unperformed until the end of the competition.
The competition will consist of three phases: the elimination phase, the semifinal and the final. After the elimination phase, a maximum of 25 scores will be selected by the preliminary jury for the following phases, by October 31, 2017.
In the semifinal phase, which will conclude by 15 November 2017, the jury will select up to a maximum of 3 compositions which will pass into the final phase. The title of the works chosen for the final will be published on the site of the Competition on 16 November 2017 and the three finalist composers will be informed by email.
The final phase of the competition will consist of an evening event open to the public to be held in Florence on 27 November 2017 at Teatro Goldoni, within the concert season of Maggio Musicale Fiorentino. In the final concert, I Cameristi del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, conducted by Domenico Pierini will publicly perform the selected works. After the performances the Jury, present in the concert hall, will meet and decide on the winner. The winning composition will be announced at the end of the evening.
The winner of the competition will be awarded the “Novaro” Prize, which includes:
– Publication of the work by the publishing house Sonzogno.
– Commission of a chamber music work by Operabarga Festival, with the Premiere performance at Barga in summer 2018.
– A money prize of 5.000 Euros (gross of withholding taxes).
In addition, three special prizes will be awarded:
– the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino discretional award: the artistic direction of Maggio Musicale Fiorentino will have the possibility to commission one of the three finalist composers a symphonic work, to be performed in the symphonic season of Maggio Musicale Fiorentino,
– the audience prize, awarded by the public attending the final evening, who will vote using a form handed out in the concert hall. It consists of 500 Euros (gross of withholding taxes).
– the critics’ prize, awarded by the critics’ jury, composed of three members: Sandro Cappelletto, Gianluigi Mattietti and Gregorio Moppi. The prize consists of 500 Euros (gross of withholding taxes).
Registration should be made through the site www.concorsonovaro.it All candidates must register on the site and fill in the online application form, following the instructions provided
The deadline for the submission of manuscripts is 20 October 2017. Each participant may only present one composition.